Foundation training is for anyone who would like to learn how to effectively use our innovative and award-winning approach to support people with communication difficulties. Foundation training can be undertaken face to face or online. See below for more details.
This training will help you to:
- Use Talking Mats to support the children and adults you work with to share their feelings, thoughts and views.
- Reflect on your own communication.
- Learn how issues that arise can be explored further through careful planning.
- Discover our Talking Mats research and evidence base.
- Connect with practitioners around the world.
You can see training and resource options in our shop.
This course is ideal for anyone who prefers a flexible learning experience at a self-guided pace. There are 4 modules consisting of;
Module 1: What is a Talking Mat
Module 2: The evidence supporting Talking Mats and who can use it
Module 3: The benefits of using a Talking Mat for the listener and the thinker
Module 4: Using Talking Mats creatively
Each module has a teaching section and an activity which may be watching a short film clip, a quiz, reading or contributing your ideas, questions and comments to the group forum. The final module requires a short film of you carrying out a mat and your thoughts on how this went.
The course is completed over a period of 6 weeks and we estimate it involves 12 hours of learning. There are no live sessions. Your learning is supported by personalised feedback from Talking Mats tutors.
Our online Foundation Training dates for 2024 are now available to book now in our shop!
- 9th January 2024
- 6th February 2024
- 5th March 2024
- 2nd April 2024
- 30th April 2024
- 28th May 2024
- 25th June 2024
- 23rd July 2024
- 27th August 2024
- 24th September
- 22nd October 2024
Face to Face (In Person)
Face to face training is delivered by specialist Talking Mats tutors, and can be undertaken in one of two ways; the two-part course and the one-day course.
The Two-part Course
This course is delivered over two half-days near our headquarters in Stirling. It is structured to allow participants time to reflect and develop their own communication skills between the two sessions, which are held 4-6 weeks apart.
Format of course:
- each half day will run from 09.00-12.30hrs
- the first session will provide background, support and materials to enable each participant to create a Talking Mats
- participants will be expected to make a film of themselves using a Talking Mat, preferably with someone with communication difficulties before the second session
- the second session will use the films as a focus for discussion, reflection and application in the workplace.
Please note: film footage is required in order to pass the course
Dates of any courses for 2024 will appear here and in the shop once confirmed.
The One-day Course
This course is delivered in one day and we combine hands-on experience of Talking Mats with role-play, discussion and reflection of the use of the tool in a variety of real-life situations.
New dates for 2024: Book now to secure your place
22nd February 2024: St Thomas Centre, Manchester
23rd July 2024: St Thomas Centre, Manchester
21st November 2024: St Thomas Centre, Manchester
How to book
Please book your place through our shop.
Once you have booked your place, one of our team will be in touch to get more details including any accessibility or dietary requirements.
This course, in partnership with Course Beetle, is perfect for anyone who wants to take part in live sessions with a Talking Mats tutor.
These courses are very popular and dates fill up quickly. Booking is via Course Beetle website
To find out more about the structure of the course and dates for 2024:
To book directly with Course Beetle