As a result of our research on communication disability we have developed a number of useful templates and resources which we wish to provide as ‘free stuff’ to anyone working with people with communication disability. They include:
Templates and Tools
- AAC service Evaluation script and symbols This Talking Mats resource was funded by the Scottish Government Right to Speak initiative to enable AAC users to give feedback on their services.
- Dementia Communication Difficulties Scale – this tool was developed during one of our research projects to help identify the communication difficulties that a person with dementia might be having
- SUST 2017 (Stirling Understanding Screening Tool) – this tool was developed in order to provide a quick way to gauge the comprehension level of adults with a communication difficulty.
- EFFC 2016 (Effectiveness Framework of Functional Communication) – this is a simple but helpful tool to measure the effectiveness of an interaction between 2 people. It’s particularly helpful if a video recording has been made of the interaction.
- 2018 Talking Mats and ASD guidelinesThese guidelines have been written to support people who want to teach people with autism how to use Talking Mats.
- Resolution pics Do you want to think about your New Year’s resolutions? A fun way to use Talking Mats with friends and family
- TM Symbols and prompt for MCQ Use Talking Mats to support completing a mystery customer questionnaire to feedback on your experience in shops or services as part of the National Communication Access project
- Embedding TM in practice template – this can be use to plan and record who you use Talking Mats with.
- Talking Mats reflection template – this can be used to reflect on how the Talking Mats session went. It can be helpful to use it alongside the Talking Mats report template.
- Talking Mats report template – this can be used to record your Talking Mats session and detail action points.
- Visual CARE Measure – this is an adapted version of the CARE Measure which can be used to assess patients’ views of practitioners’ communication and relational empathy abilities.
- Visual CARE Measure information sheet
- Paediatric CARE Measure – this is a shortened version of the Visual CARE Measure for consulting children and young people with cognitive difficulties, or children with communication difficulties.
- Paediatric CARE Measure information sheet
- Paediatric CARE Measure Guidance for AHPs
- Making Communication Even Better This is a free education resource for staff to consider the impact of communication difficulties on services . There are lots of videos of people with communication disability reflecting on their experiences :what works well and what does not . It was funded by NHS education Scotland and Talking Mats helped facilitate and produce the resource.
- Promoting Inclusion and Participation This is a free education resource for staff working with children and young people who use alternative and augmentative communication . There are lots of videos of real life examples of how AAC promotes or hinders inclusion – lots of material for reflection and discussion – great for group learning. It was funded by NHS Education Scotland and Talking Mats helped facilitate and produce the resource.
We have reports on all the projects we have carried out.