As a result of our research on communication disability we have developed a number of useful templates and resources which we wish to provide as ‘free stuff’ to anyone working with people with communication disability. They include:
Templates and Tools
- Communication Access UK Symbols and Standards Have your say by choosing the symbol you like best and by doing a Talking Mat to say what standards are important
- AAC service Evaluation script and symbols This Talking Mats resource was funded by the Scottish Government Right to Speak initiative to enable AAC users to give feedback on their services.
- Dementia Communication Difficulties Scale – this tool was developed during one of our research projects to help identify the communication difficulties that a person with dementia might be having
- SUST 2017 (Stirling Understanding Screening Tool) – this tool was developed in order to provide a quick way to gauge the comprehension level of adults with a communication difficulty.
- EFFC 2016 (Effectiveness Framework of Functional Communication) – this is a simple but helpful tool to measure the effectiveness of an interaction between 2 people. It’s particularly helpful if a video recording has been made of the interaction.
- 2018 Talking Mats and ASD guidelinesThese guidelines have been written to support people who want to teach people with autism how to use Talking Mats.
- Resolution pics Do you want to think about your New Year’s resolutions? A fun way to use Talking Mats with friends and family
- Embedding TM in practice template – this can be use to plan and record who you use Talking Mats with.
- Talking Mats reflection template – this can be used to reflect on how the Talking Mats session went. It can be helpful to use it alongside the Talking Mats report template.
- Talking Mats report template – this can be used to record your Talking Mats session and detail action points.
- Visual CARE Measure – this is an adapted version of the CARE Measure which can be used to assess patients’ views of practitioners’ communication and relational empathy abilities.
- Visual CARE Measure information sheet
- Paediatric CARE Measure – this is a shortened version of the Visual CARE Measure for consulting children and young people with cognitive difficulties, or children with communication difficulties.
- Paediatric CARE Measure information sheet
- Paediatric CARE Measure Guidance for AHPs
We have reports on all the projects we have carried out.